Seiten

Mittwoch, 9. April 2014

What are Chia seeds and why you should add them to your diet?

Some months ago I set myself the goal of eating healthier. You can call it hobby, or call it obsession, but I love finding new foods to add superhealthy nutrients to my diet. You have seen my posts about the BIO obsession, and I also explained my first (and last) bad experience with ginger (we are friends again). My last discovery are the chia seeds. I've been adding them to some of my meals and a lot of people asked me what are these black disgusting grains. I thought it was time to write a post about this amazing food!



Health benefits of chia seeds:
- source of omega 3 (helps to reduce bad cholesterol)
- protein
- fiber
- satiating effects
- antioxidants (against free radicals, aging and cancer)
- calcium (good for your bones and teeth!)
- potassium
- magnesium
- manganese
- phosphorous
- stabilizing effect on blood sugar (insulin level regulation)

But (!):
- it's extremely expensive (13euro per 450g in the BIO shop, no kidding)
- it has almost no taste (in my opinion)
- you shouldn't eat more than 28grams a day (too much fiber can harm your stomach)

Ideas to include chia seeds in your meals:
- mix it with cereal
- make healthy pancakes (with one banana, one egg, one teaspoon chia seeds)
- add some to your salads
- egg substitute for baking (1tbs chia seeds and 3 tbs water and let sit for 15 min) (I've never tasted it, but I will and I will post it!)
- add some seeds to your milkshakes

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen